Sparrows is a global market-leading mechanical engineering contractor, focused on delivering outstanding lifting and handling engineering, product, operations and maintenance solutions to the offshore oil and gas industry. Headquartered in Aberdeen, Sparrows employs over 2200 people through its 21 operating bases spanning 6 continents.
As part of an ambitious 5 years strategic growth plan we are recruiting a Crane Operations Training Instructor/Assessor to join our new training operation in Abu Dhabi and to help promote Sparrows Training capabilities in the Middle East region, a key area of growth for the business.
* Deliver training courses in an engaging manner, meeting the standards and processes defined in Sparrows Integrated Management System.
* Welcome trainees to the Training Centre and provide a detailed induction, with particular emphasis on safety awareness.
* Ensure participants are fully familiarised with the aims and objectives of the training and assessment programmes they will follow.
* Ensure standards of delivery are replicated at any offshore or overseas location and that clients are kept fully apprised of progress/outcome.
* Supervise delegates throughout practical training sessions, ensuring all exercises are conducted in a safe and professional manner.
* Be prepared to travel to any overseas location deemed acceptable by the Company, taking into consideration the specialist advice they will have received.
* Ensure that robust feedback is provided to candidates on completion of the training or assessment process and that they are fully aware of, and are in agreement with, the outcome decision.
* Be pro-active in contributing to research and development to ensure all training materials comply with current legislation/best practice and that knowledge is shared with the global training team.
* Be familiar with and promote to clients all product lines available through the Sparrows Group.
* Be prepared to undergo further periods of self-study to achieve additional qualifications that may be deemed necessary for the role eg Internal Verifier.
* Conduct pre-employment assessments of prospective employees to ascertain the applicant's specific ability to meet the Company's pre-qualification criteria for theoretical and practical performance.
* Maintain the flexibility required to support ad-hoc training requirements where possible schedule changes apply.
* Assist in the upkeep of equipment and facilities as individual skills permit.
* It is mandatory that the incumbent is familiar with, and follows the Company's Health, Safety, Environment and Quality Management System and takes an active part in the compliance and improvement of the Management Systems
* The incumbent must report any accidents, incidents, near misses, actual or potential problems with products, services or systems according to the Management System processes/procedures
* The incumbent also has legal responsibilities under country-specific health , safety and/or environmental legislation to follow all Company policies, procedures, guidelines, control measures, signage and permit conditions and to know what to do in an emergency
* The incumbent is also responsible for the health and safety arrangements of subordinates (if any) and for any persons visiting them while on the Company premises
* Offshore Crane Operator competence to Stage 3 standard or equivalent
* A recognised assessor qualification
* Broad offshore operating experience on a range of crane types and work locations
* Strong Communicator in the English language
* Presentation skills with the ability to speak to groups
* Good computer skills utilising standard Microsoft IT Packages
* Mechanical, electrical or rigging experience
* Previous experience of assessing using a crane simulator
* Additional language skills advantageous