- Proficiency with various office software applications including Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Excel
- Ability to analyze, trouble-shoot and resolve problems
- Motivated self-starter with excellent time management skills and an ability to work from broad guidelines with minimal supervision
- An understanding of transport and switching systems for telecommunications applications and Optical Networking
- Familiar with various types of test equipment for optical and protocol testing
- System level trouble shooting on fiber optic telecommunications transport and switching equipment.
- Good foundation knowledge of OTN, SONET/SDH and DWDM and a general understanding of other Switching/transport concepts are required.
- Knowledge of computers, data communications, UNIX SUN/Oracle and IP network experience would be a benefit.
- Experience with network management systems would be beneficial
- Strong background in relationship building and Customer focus
- Team player
- Ability to deal with stressful situations
- Must have the ability to communicate in English language both verbal and written.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors degree in technical field (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) from a four-year college or university with 1 to 4 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Foundation knowledge of the operation of fiber optic transport and/or switching equipment.
- Preferably has experience in a technical support role with an equipment vendor in the Telco industry.
- Basic problem solving experience with OTN/SONET/SDH equipment equipment or associated fiber optic facilities.