The account-abilities need for this role:
- Evolve the agreed SMS structure and ensure its integration with the evolving IM organizational structure.
- Manage the progressive endorsement of the SMS from line managers and RAB(C).
- Create individual SMS components as required, obtain authorization for them.
- Ensure the emerging SMS components covering infrastructure and organizational change and risk assessment are compatible with the arrangements in place between RfL and CRL for initial project delivery as well as the ongoing 'steady state' phase.
- Conduct regular briefings on SMS structure and content within the IM organization and attend working groups on organizational development, operational development and emerging maintenance policy.
- Agree and monitor the production of supporting working level processes and procedures created by others, to include local operating instructions designed to mitigate certain hazards, local maintenance instructions and other relevant publications.
You will interface with:
System Engineer Cross-rail Infrastructure
Head of Engineering Cross-rail Infrastructure
Head of Operations
Head of Maintenance
RfL Discipline Engineers
Director, Health Safety and Environment, London Rail
Office of the Rail Regulator
Crossrail Assurance Team
Consultants, Suppliers and Contractors
There may also be a need to travel to other locations within the UK.
Essential academic, professional qualifications and experience:
Proven experience in safety management in a railway infrastructure management or railway undertaking organization
Ideally direct involvement in implementing an SMS and monitoring its effectiveness within an IM or RU
Essential competencies / skills:
- Good understanding of the principles of engineering and operations safety management
- Good understanding of occupational health and safety management in a railway context
- Good understanding of both LUL and Network Rail standards
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of relevant controlling legislation/regulation within the UK and European jurisdictions including ROGS, RIR, CSM
- Good working knowledge of the railway industry and its safety regulatory framework
- Highly-developed interpersonal and communications skills
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills, with proven ability to manage external relationships
- Able to appreciate the complexities of the project
- Strong analytical and communication skills (verbal and written) with demonstrated ability to prepare concise reports and procedures.