The incumbent will support the leadership team in taking the packaging technology related capability to horizon 2 and then 3. He will work with strategic intent and provide strategic thrust on NPD projects and work around the scope to create newer avenues. His major responsibility will be to defend and extend current core development activities but simultaneously build momentum for emerging new development opportunities and create options for future product opportunities. Focus should be on Preserving brand equity and security, enhancing shelf appeal, and drive efficiency from design through print production.
We expect the candidate to overcome operational bottlenecks, revive/ re-engineer processes for optimal process efficiency & right technological system to support NPD and simultaneously forge the system and people together for new technological adaptability and imbibing capability.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Execute design & development projects of new products in coordination with the cross-functional team
2. Look at bridging gaps between product and market needs
3. Explore sustainable solutions for different industry verticals on substrates and anticounterfiet.
4. Research on substrates and best materials for product designs and enhanced solutions /features. focus intensively on the possible applications of new materials & techniques on manufacturing process.
5. Pursue the objective of reducing the weight of forms by using innovative materials and optimizations in the manufacturing process. This would simplify logistics and the handling of printing forms and thus reduce costs.
6. Pilot line or extensively simulate all relevant commercial processes to achieve fast development cycles with highest possible predictability on final material properties.
7. Research on print color management aspects like sequencing, substrate usage etc. to develop further and more in-depth technologies to achieve the shortest possible set-up time in printing.
8. Make inroads for sustainable, Organic and smart packaging
9. Explore opportunities in electronics (non-consumable FMCG) packaging
10. Research new advances by packaging giants in the sector like polymer modeling.
11. Take existing development opportunities in track & trace packaging, EL, Tamper-evident,In-mould,blister Packaging to new horizon.
12. Build extensive knowledge base on untapped areas-like structural design,POS,Biodegradable & hygiene packaging ,Logistics packaging to cater to booming industries-pharma, FMCG,retail, transport etc.
13. Oversee changes /revamping in production line/machines to build capacity to manufacture successfully test runned product on a commercial scale.
14. Team up with Product Managers and Strategy team to chalk strategy to hit market, positioning, differentiation,tailoring changes for leveraging greater product returns.
15. Lead and manage the team of engineers to design & develop new products
16. Develop team competence by training and development
17. Conduct the rigorous, fact-based appraisal of industry performance drivers and competitive dynamics
18. Provide specific guidance to and manage work effort of the subordinates/peers on client engagements to ensure that the focus is correct and the work is accomplished on time, and meets or exceeds the highest quality standard
19. Educate internal customers and team members from outside other parts on R&D concepts and frameworks they may not be familiar with in terms of business drivers and integration points
20. Develop innovative thought leadership and contribute to the creation of points of view on new client sustainability offerings and insights. This would be in close alliance with strategy and marketing people.
21. Build and maintain excellent relationships with external partners / suppliers, customers and internal clients as an advocate of the company .
22. Provide strategic oversight of planning and prioritization of projects for the company and its clients
23. Manage development activities for new products to strict commercialization schedules
24. Oversee technology transfer activities from the development group or from vendors to manufacturing and hand over to Project team
25. Establish milestones and monitor adherence to master plans and schedules, identifies program problems and obtains solutions, such as allocation of resources
26. Dividing the projects into sub-projects for parallelization of tasks (i.e. Concurrent Engineering).
27. Ensuring optimized implementation of the phase (stage) gate product development process, by optimizing the product development time to market, optimizing resource utilization, realizing synergy between teams and platforms.
28. Doing the feasibility check before initiating any project and ensuring risk mitigation tools are in place.
29. Identifying the criticalities/challenges in the project proactively and implementing corrective actions.
30. Stay abreast of new technology leading to quicker prototype evaluation or improved package options. Develop a network of suppliers, industry experts or install in house creation of packaging concepts
31. Study legal dimensions(existing & new regulations in printing & packaging sector as well as industry specific)as this may affect project development process.
1. Credibility in technology, innovation and knowledge exchange networks
2. Minimum 5-6 years of experience in packaging Product development (FMCG/ Pharma sector preferred) with vivid exposure on cross technological platforms employed in packaging related verticals.
3. Degree in Packaging Science/Technology, Plastics or Materials Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. MBA degree an added advantage.
4. Should be involved extensive market interactions & deriving customer insights
5. Preliminary experience in assessing R&D or functional area issues, recommending, justifying changes through business case development, and implementing business transformations with evidence of:
Significant client impact and value creation
Issue-based problem solving
On time, on budget high quality project delivery
Follow-on project sales and ability to sell work to new clients
6. Understanding of product life cycle management
Behavioral Competencies required:
1. Proven ability to build, manage and foster a team
2. Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
3. Excellent leadership and management skills
4. Should have refined communication & presentation skills to support the analytic output.
5. Ability to document and present analysis results in a clear, compelling style.
6. Highly self motivated and professional. Ability to consistently meet deadlines and deliver high-quality materials. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
7. Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop strong working relationships and effectively influence all levels of business.
8. Ability to own the process for the particular deliverable, understanding the deliverable in great detail and all its complexity
1. Key understanding on flexible packaging methods as this would ease out efforts in implementing the ideas from internal flexotronics team.
2. Knowledge on Food processing & sustainable materials.
3. Knowledge on Pharmaceutical & Bio medical packaging experience.
4. Biochemistry knowledge
5. Structural Designing Exposure.
6. Exposure on the base material aspects of its various applications.
7. Supply chain solutions knowledge