Understand the articulated Strategy for the Organization / BU / Function (short, mid and long term) and its implications on Organization Design.
Organization Design Diagnostics. Identify: (1) Key challenges facing the Organization today
(2) Issues caused due to poor Organization Design
(3) What is going well and needs to be retained in the new organization?
(4) Changes are required to the Organization Design to improve organizational performance and achieve strategy
Organizational Benchmarking , i.e. answer questions like:
(1) How are benchmark organizations in this sector (in India and across the world) organized?
(2) How do these benchmark organizations operate (processes, responsibility allocation, etc.)?
(3) What are some of the key learnings we can apply to this context?
Operating Model & Design Principles. Elaborate:
(1) Key design principles the revised organization design should enable
(2) Operating Model for the ideal organization (i.e. how should the desired organization work?)
(3) High Level organizational processes flows
(4) How should work be divided? At what level should integration happen?
Organization Structure Design:
(1) Role based organization structure till the last level (For Core, Enabling and Support functions)
(2) Role Profiles for each key roles (Initially a high level responsibility allocation will be prepared and once the organization structures get stabilised detailed role documents would be developed, through workshop approach)
(3) Working of the structure & relationships work in matrix situations
Role Documentation, Clarification & Performance Measure Definition:
(1) Define detailed role documents and performance measures for key roles
(2) Conduct role clarification workshops and bring the role documents to life through appropriate communication to all role holders
(3) Key performance measures for each role (Performance Measures for Organization & various Functions would be developed and be cascaded to each role)
Job Evaluation & Grading:
(1) Undertake Job Evaluation for key / benchmark roles
(2) Create grading and banding structure based on the output of Job Evaluation
(3) Evaluate new roles & fit them into grade / band structure
Organization Design Mechanics. Define:
(1) Review mechanisms at various levels (Organizational, Functional - Including Agenda for discussion). Who should participate in these reviews?
(2) Issue escalation & resolution mechanisms
(3) SLAs for various functions
(4) Decision making across the organization (Decision Matrices, Responsibility Allocation Matrices)
Implementation (1) Based on the extent of change required, prepare implementation plan. This could include assistance in mapping of people to various positions (based on the desired competencies), preparing transition plans for moving to the desired organization, conducting communication workshops, assistance in conducting planning & review mechanisms, etc.
(2) Review plans regularly to achieve desired results
Workforce / Manpower Planning
(1) Detailed role analysis / activity analysis for various roles
(2) Create manpower models for estimating number of people required for various positions
(3) Create projections for manpower numbers based on business projections
HR Systems & Process Design: Develop and Implement effective systems and processes in all areas of HR (Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, Performance Management, Rewards & Policies, Learning & Development, HRIS, etc.)