To direct, promote, and coordinate the operations of the Company in a manner that will optimize the Company's market share and savings, improve the Company's efficiency, help achieve the Company's mission and goals, and result in outstanding customer service.
The general managers responsibilities involve supervision, public relations, marketing, profitability and sales, service, reporting, capital requirements, and other duties as assigned by the board of directors. The general manager will maintain a positive attitude that promotes team work within the Company and a favorable image of the Company.
Supervision involves developing and communicating Company goals and results to personnel; selecting, supervising, and supporting the employee team; and upholding Company policies.
Develop and communicate Company goals and results to all personnel
1. Develop and review budget and goals with staff within 60 days of fiscal year end
2. Review progress as compared to budget with staff quarterly
3. Hold regular team meetings
Select, supervise, and support the employee team
1. Create and maintain an atmosphere in which employees willingly produce at maximum capacity
2. Supervise maintenance of preferred staffing levels General Manager: Position Objective and Responsibilities.
3. Assign employee responsibilities and maintain job descriptions
4. Develop performance standards
5. Supervise ongoing employee training
6. Complete and administer a yearly merit review with all direct reports
7. Develop and maintain a salary administration program and pay competitive wages based on performance
8. Plan for and provide opportunities for employee advancement and development
9. Continually build upon personal skills and knowledge.
Public relations involves building and maintaining positive relationships with Company members, other Company's, and the business community.
1. Develop sound working relationships with other Company's and within the business community
2. Personally and officially represent your Company by participating in the community
3. Develop member confidence in and understanding of the Company
4. Adhere to and promote all department and Company policy and decisions
5. Promote participation of member customers in the Company
6. Build a positive Company image
Marketing involves developing and directing marketing activities
1. Prepare and review marketing plans with employees on a regular basis
2. Review individual department marketing plans annually
3. Review individual department sales and promotion programs annually
4. Plan marketing activities and review results and expectations with employees
Profitability and Sales
Profitability and sales involves establishing and achieving sales and profitability goals, and increasing the Company's market share through regular sales efforts.
Establish and achieve profitability goals
1. Supervise performance of purchasing functions to insure greatest value, while taking advantage of all discounts
2. Supervise pricing and inventory policies designed to price competitively and achieve desired gross margin
3. Establish profit expectations
Establish and achieve sales goals
1. Establish sales goals and develop plans to achieve them.
2. Maintain inventories at levels to assure service with a minimum of delivery delays, yet maintain inventory turn goals.
Increase market share through regular sales efforts
1. Supervise sales staff and sales efforts
2. Review daily reports
3. Review sales results with staff regularly
4. Ensure employees have the knowledge and information needed to achieve market share growth.
Service involves providing and promoting the service necessary to meet the Company's goals and needs.
1. Ensure all customers receive courteous and efficient service from all employees
2. Handle claims and complaints promptly.
Reporting involves keeping the board informed of the Company's status and activities, and assisting with board activities.
1. Submit monthly reports, general information, and recommendations to the board of directors
2. Assist the board in formulating policies and provide all facts needed for board decision making
3. Make policy recommendations and carry out board policies
4. Arrange for board review of insurance, banking, auditing, and other board-approved relationships
5. Help plan the annual meeting and report to Company members