1. Applies expertise in a specialized field of engineering or science to broadly stated technical problems in a global business unit.
2. Identifies and defines problems; plans and conducts research aimed at their solution.
3. Carries out special or unique studies requiring unconventional or novel approaches or research techniques.
4. Uses all available guides and precedents and expands and develops where these contain critical gaps, are only partially related to the problem, or are largely lacking because of the novel character of the project.
5. Leads, as requested, in the formulation of advanced/complex engineering/scientific concepts in proposal development and preliminary design phases and presents these to client management.
6. Conducts or leads special studies on new technologies, methods and materials.
7. Conducts research, presents papers and keeps abreast of technological development in the specialty, keeping engineering management informed of important new advances.
8. Serves as consultant to project and specialty engineering/scientific groups, providing advice and counsel on assignments having special and unique features.
9. May provide technical direction to subordinate specialists and other engineers or scientists, as assigned.
10. Establishes relationships with professional colleagues and outside consultants retained by Bechtel.
11. Analyzes specialty staffing requirements for an organization and participates in planning assignments and training in light of these requirements.
12. May participate in public meetings and licensing hearings, and serve as an expert witness.
13. Participates in and fosters a work environment that is based upon openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
14. Develops & maintains Corporate Piping Material Classes as required
15. Applies expertise in the review of Client/Customer specifications for compliance with applicable Industry Codes
16. Executes and verifies related calculations (wall thickness, branch reinforcement, vacuum, specialty line blanks, etc)
17. Reviews Vendor Quotations for Technical Acceptability and completes Technical Bid Evaluations for all piping and valve components
18. Issues and maintains piping and valve material specifications utilizing SmartPlant Reference Data
19. Development of component commodity codes for company and project specific databases based on industry standards, manufacturer specific construction and corporate coding structure
20. Works closely with clients and other disciplines on resolution of piping related issues.
21. Development of technical, design and purchasing specifications for all bulk piping components.
22. Development of specialty items as required by project.
A recognized degree in an engineering or scientific discipline, from an accredited college or university, OR
A professional license in an appropriate discipline, from a recognized licensing board, OR
Specialized courses in relevant general engineering, science or an appropriate engineering discipline to meet job requirements, AND
Progressive work experience, preferably in project and staff design engineering, specialty engineering, scientific or architectural design or other relevant types of engineering such as systems start-up, field engineering or plant operation in large industrial plants, utilities, process plants or engineering/construction firms.