Our Commercial Managers, often placed within client teams, work on some of the largest railway schemes in the UK.
As Commercial Manager you will be responsible for the effective management of (pre and post) contracts to be issued for works within the Network Rail or TfL Rail environments.
You will manage and build a team of contract managers and provide commercial direction and leadership across project teams.
Leading the procurement strategy that seeks to establish at the earliest opportunity key equipment for which long lead delivery times may require early vendor discussion.
Establishing subcontractor contracts to support an overall project strategy.
Establishing/Managing a team for the effective management of subcontractors including material control, quantity surveying and cost management.
Preparation of Invitations to Tender, Contract and for obtaining project management approval prior to issue.
To act as a focal point with regards to all subcontract and procurement activities.
To be fully conversant with the details of Subcontracts in order to maintain procedural, administration and commercial control of Subcontractors.
To verify Subcontractors personnel on site are aware of the scope of work prior to commencement on site; including HS&E requirements, site access, facilities to be provided and method and format of presentation of interim valuations including date for submissions/agreement.
To advise Subcontractors of Site Instructions and Contract amendment procedures
To ensure the preparation of monthly valuation certificates are undertaken and circulated as appropriate for approval signature.
To provide the monthly status reports on Subcontractors and distribute in accordance with Project requirements.
To report to the Project Manager & Site Manager claims and as required undertake claim assessment and preliminary investigations.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience:
* Track record of managing commercial contracts in the railway environment. Administration of these contracts to financial close. Ensuring high levels of safety and environmental responsibility.
* Demonstrate success in managing multiple subcontracts in the fields of Engineering design, Railway construction or specific construction environment.
* An experienced team leader with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, able to inspire, motivate, develop and lead teams of commercial staff.
* Key areas of competence to include NEC and ICE contract knowledge, knowledge of bespoke NR forms of contract would be advantageous
* Technical strengths based upon experience of commercial/contracts management and all aspects associated with the writing, placing and administration of contracts.
* Competent in dispute avoidance, management and resolution, contract, claims, delay analysis, commercial matters, business commercial process, quantity surveying and contracts management.
* Good presentation, influencing and facilitation skills. Excellent communication and organizational skills, able to develop relationships and maintain effective networks.
* Strong numerical and analytical skills.
* Ideally either working towards becoming or a Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors