As an Application Engineer in the Application Engineering team, your role will be to ensure the overall health of the application. This individual will be involved in critical projects that will ensure the security, performance, and scalability of the application in a production environment
Job Skills & Responsibilities:
- Architect, design, and implement all production and pre-production infrastructure solutions in the ReachLocal Private Cloud and public clouds, such as AWS
- Work with system/network engineers and software engineers to define requirements and standards
- Develop and implement plans for deploying new services in a highly automated environment
- Work with the team to investigate and improve security and performance as it relates to applications and processes
- Provide 24/7 operational support for all of the company's production servers and services
- Research, test, and implement new technologies to support the application architecture
- Maintain effective working relationships with other IT Staff members, internal customers, and technical staff at collocation providers. Maintain professional relationships with all vendors.
- 3+ years experience administering Linux/UNIX systems and applications
- Experience with large scale environment comprising of 1000 + servers.
- In-depth technical knowledge of and experience with RedHat Linux, and Ubuntu.
- Expertise supporting and designing web applications using LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP/Perl) infrastructure
- Experience supporting Java applications and strong knowledge of the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and tuning the JVM
- Experience with configuration management systems (Puppet and/or CFEngine, Chef)
- Strong knowledge of UNIX scripting and automation
- Experience working with SQL and NoSQL solutions, such as MySQL, Apache Cassandra/Datastax Enterprise, Hadoop, and/or HBase
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to produce usable and maintainable documentation
- Demonstrate problem solving abilities and initiative
- Ability to deliver projects on schedule
- Strong knowledge of networking as it relates to systems and security
- Ability to provide a professional interface to internal and external customers and vendors across remote locations