A range of outstanding candidates from new PhD s to those with multiple years of industry experience will be considered, with commensurate expectations on level of skills. The candidate will work within a broader team leading research in smart grid technologies - load management at the home, community and city level, efficient utility operations and renewables integration in microgrids.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to define research plans, carry out leading research through building deployable systems, and publish research results through professional journals, academic conferences, and patents. As a researcher you will be expected to organize challenging problems, develop new solutions, and work with business & development teams to ensure these solutions have a significant impact.
In particular, we are working on the following aspects:
Energy Conservation, Peak Load Reduction and Demand Management - DEMAND side
Loss (both technical and non-technical) minimization; Robust operation/ real-time view/responsiveness - Grid OPERATIONS
Renewable energy sources (e.g.: solar, wind etc): & integrate w/ storage & transportation (e.g.: plug-in hybrid vehicles) - SUPPLY side
- Doctoral (preferred) or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Strong publication record in top-tier conferences and journals
- Ability to conceive and architect large-scale systems that include both hardware and software components
- Deep knowledge about tradeoffs (scalability, performance, cost, security, reliability, etc) in designing/building large-scale systems
- Solid understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Experience in building large-scale systems using C/C++/Java, preferably on Linux
- Good experience with design/development/documentation/version control tools.
- Ability to work with a diverse team with a broad spectrum of skills
- Some embedded systems experience
- Some exposure to energy systems and energy issues
- Opportunity to work on one of the most important problems facing humanity
- A stimulating, open, cross-disciplinary environment in a leading research organization,
- Opportunities for a unique combination of scientific and industrial research into real-world problems
- Excellent ties to research groups worldwide
- Opportunities to publish in top systems conferences and journals
- The ability to take part in large-scale international research projects