1. Resolving queries directly with the client e.g. style and text inconsistencies
2. Correcting spelling mistakes and grammatical errors
3. Ensuring that illustrations are correctly captioned and referred to in the text
4. Producing or working to a style checklist to ensure consistency in hyphenation, capitalization, formatting of references, etc.
5. Sub-Editing text written by a number of authors to ensure consistent house style
6. Maintaining awareness of new words or phrases coming into popular usage with a view to ensuring they're appropriate for the readership
7. Overseeing the work of indexers, typesetters and designers
8. Working with Management & Human Resources to assess project needs and accordingly ensuring best fit in terms of editor allocation
9. Plan and monitor the flow of work (based on priorities)
10. Provide classroom/on-the-job training to his/her team members and help the team overcome their weaknesses.
11. Responsible for the team producing error-free output.
12. Conducts regular team meeting to discuss projects, repeat errors, client feedback etc.
13. Be proactive with reference to both internal & external communication
14. Understanding the goals of the department and company overall, advise Editorial staff of developing and promoting content
15. Strive for continuous improvement within the department and the company as a whole