The position is a senior role role focused on managing a multi-functional team of railway engineering designers and consultants.
We envisage taking on all types of work including pre-feasibility / feasibility studies and detailed design packages from across Southern Africa in both the private and government sectors.
Responsibilities of the role will include but not be limited to the following;
- Rigorously apply the Mott MacDonaldPDNA Quality, Environmental and Safety (QES) Systems to all projects.
- Ensure that all technical documentation is executed in accordance with the requirement for quality, while respecting any pre-established constraints for budget (capital and services costs), previously established design criteria, and schedule etc.
- Maintain a professional relationship amongst other senior engineers, Area/Project Managers, as well as with procurement, controls and construction team members when applicable.
- Maintain a listing of engineering deliverables indicating the hours required to permit the planning and control to the engineering budget and schedules.
- Plan and advise with the Engineering Manager and Project Manager on the requirements of engineering personnel in the engineering teams to meet
growing resource demands.
- Manage, delegate and co-ordinate the progress of the engineering work with the Project Managers in accordance with the project scope, schedule and procedures.
- Assist the Project Manager / Engineering Manager to measure on a monthly basis, the progress of the engineering work packages to ensure that the budgets and schedules are being met and advise the Project Manager regarding corrective action that is needed.
The successful candidate(s) will be integral to the growth and competency assessment and competency control of the OHTE engineering team as well as to the successful delivery of engineering programmes and projects. It is essential that the chosen individual is capable of establishing credible relations with clients, senior project/Programme personnel as well as subordinate staff, quickly and confidently as necessary.
The following requirements apply:
- In accordance with the South African Engineering Profession Act, the engineer shall be registered with ECSA as a PrEng.
- A willingness and capability to join this team as a full time and long term employee.
- The candidate should have a very strong grounding of design engineering codes and technical standards
- The candidate should have an Engineering Degree (or equivalent) and have several years post qualified professional engineering experience likely to be 10 years or more.
- Experience in Railway design engineering ideally within a design consultancy environment within a similar large engineering or multi-disciplinary company.
- An understanding and appreciation of the complexities of
large multi-disciplinary projects and how this can/will impact engineering design functions.
- A willingness and drive to develop and enhance one's own engineering experience and skill set.
- A personal drive to successfully conclude project specifics.
- An ability to successfully run and manage a discipline specific team as well as a capability to manage/interface with multi-disciplinary engineering projects.
- The candidate should have excellent attention to detail, good communication skills and a willingness to learn as well as a capacity to mentor subordinate staff members
- The individual should be a team player although capable of working autonomously.
- The capability to encourage and assist the development of junior colleagues.