Specialist Area - Agriculture Economics
PhD disciplines would include economics, agricultural economics or closely related field,
Successful candidate will have over 15 years of relevant Senior level experience in positions of increasing complexity and responsibility. Positions in Industry, research, development sector, international organizations, govt etc.
* General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills - Possesses a track record of intellectual leadership and ability to integrate economic-specific knowledge and specific micro/sector fields of expertise; provides quality assurance and assesses technical soundness of work/reports.
* Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Influences the design and execution of major policy and/or research initiatives; conceives and promotes innovations in development policies, project design, organization and management to improve operational and sector work.
* Policy Dialogue Skills - Has a track record of conducting effective policy dialogue with country counterparts; communicates and defends difficult issues and positions to senior management and government officials.
* Agricultural Economics - Viewed as an expert in the economics of agriculture, capable of representing internationally.
* Agriculture Policy, Strategy and Institutions - Comprehensive understanding of agriculture policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
* Agricultural Sciences - Expert at policy-related decisions and advice, and recognized expertise in at least one subtopic: soil, water, crops, livestock, inputs, biotech, disease control, etc.
* Agricultural Systems - Production to Consumption - Deep expertise in the agricultural value chain (research, input supply, on-farm production, organizing and coordinating, processing, distribution, etc.), with ability to represent internationally.
* Lead and Innovate- Develops innovative solutions.
* Deliver Results for Clients- Proactively addresses clients' stated and unstated needs.
* Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries- Collaborates across boundaries, gives own perspective and willingly receives diverse perspectives.
* Create, Apply and Share Knowledge- Applies knowledge across WBG to strengthen solutions for internal and/or external clients.
* Make Smart Decisions- Interprets a wide range of information and pushes to move forward.
* The Lead Agriculture Economist's primary responsibility will be to provide technical and strategic leadership to the development and implementation of the Agriculture Program in South Asian countries, with major focus on India
* In particular, will provide leadership on designing, coordinating and implementing a high quality analytical and advisory activities; lead/support the country strategy formulation, policy dialogue and Policy Development Lending (DPLs); lead the development of new lending and grant operations; task manage/support on-going projects for enhanced development effectiveness; provide support to operational teams on technical matters, and evaluate studies and sector-related project documentation; and exercise quality control over the economic analysis of investment projects and programs. An important part of her of his job will be to mentor and guide junior staff and task teams to help them grow professionally
* Lead /coordinate the Agriculture practice analytical program for India as well as support program development and implementation in the country
* Work with the leadership, and staff working on India to develop and nurture the portfolio of lending operations in India in order to achieve higher quality and value-addition ('finance plus' contribution) and greater development effectiveness
* Initiate and maintain a high level and quality of engagement and dialogue with key stakeholders, including government, civil society, private sector and research/academic community on strategic and policy issues concerning agriculture, and support similar efforts in other countries in the region.
* Ensure the delivery of quality analytical outputs and operational products/services, provide strategic inputs and lead/participate in policy dialogue on a broad range of public policy and investment issues in agriculture (price and trade, marketing, public expenditures), poverty analysis and non-farm employment, irrigation and water resources management, watershed development, and natural resources management.
* Lead or participate in analytical activities, and work with the Agriculture GP colleagues engaged in analytical work in India and also other countries in the Region, staff and consultants to ensure the delivery of high quality analytical and advisory products; engage with the CMUs and Country Teams on policy and strategic issues, and mentor junior colleagues.
* Capture and integrate intellectual outputs and operational experiences generated by Global Practices, national and international research institutions as well as national level think tanks into the Agriculture analytical strategy and operational work.
* Prepare, on short notice, concise policy briefing notes for senior management.
* Liaise with multiple groups with the organization, including the other practices and Thematic Groups, and engage in knowledge sharing related to agricultural development policies in order to promote, as appropriate, innovations in analytical and operational work as well as in portfolio management.
This job description is intended as a representation of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.