Location : KENYA
Working as a key member of the business, the Head of Development will play a key role in shaping the delivery of the core technology projects within our business. The candidate must be adept at using technology to enable business strategy, build a sustainable organization, communicate at an executive level, negotiate with internal and external partners, is an idea innovator, can evaluate a business model, create and lead a business strategy, has the ability to deeply understand the details of how the business operates in order to shape business strategy direction for the product. The candidate must be a hands-on team player, strong multi-tasker and has an entrepreneurial approach and spirit, high energy and a CAN DO attitude!
* Accountable to the software development life-cycle of key projects to ensure their successful delivery.
* Responsible for defining the software design strategy.
* Responsible for the underlying architecture & infrastructure to ensure software solutions are highly available.
* Working with the project team, understand the business drivers, benefits and project objectives through clearly defined success criteria, ensuring these are the core focus of the delivery.
* Ensure source code & documentation is maintained to be current, complete and appropriately stored.
* Maintaining a detailed knowledge of software development languages, techniques and methodologies.
* Lead the very talented software development teams that includes software engineers, software test engineers and DBA's, who are responsible for building enterprise level software solutions
* The future recruitment & development of a team of developers.
* Manage and coach teams on software development best practices
* Facilitate decision-making, issue resolution and consensus among the team members
* Provide mentoring to bring team members contribution to a higher level
* Manage a team of software engineers, based in India who are responsible for the development and maintenance of the corporate's high performance solutions, which operates on a shared code base with India operations.
* Manage interactions with the India based development team, who are responsible for parallel development of various solutions.
* Contribute to the evaluation and development of operational strategy and performance in conjunction with the management team.
* Deliver projects on schedule and in compliance with established company standards for quality, reusability, and ease of maintenance.
* Spearhead and manage company-wide projects to develop new business lines and increase operational efficiency.
* Lead others in debugging of complicated engineering and operational problems.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND PERFORMANCE MEASURES
* Strategic Alignment - As head of software development, the candidate holds accountability and authority for all of the company's development activities to ensure it is appropriate aligned the goals and objectives within the development department and it's Strategy.
* Implementation of New Systems -- The Head of Software Development is responsible and accountable for full application lifecycle management, which must meet the specific needs of the appropriate business sponsors. This includes establishing a business case and shared ownership and accountability for each enhancement/development project and its outcomes.
* Operational Excellence - The Head of Software Development must manage the development team in an efficient, cost-effective and transparent manner, benchmarking costs and implementing best practices as appropriate.
* Technical Leadership - The Head of Software Development provide technical leadership and oversees the development team, working with the CEO and HR to identify candidates for leadership tracks and succession planning, and to create a curriculum that emphasizes technical as well as business and people skills.
* Reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
* Directly manages the geographically dispersed software development team
* Directs the Research and Development team with product roadmap
* Fosters close, cooperative relationships with peer leaders and other senior executives.
* Four year college degree from an accredited institution; certification of various technologies or equivalent work experience will be preferred
* 5+ years of leadership experience, Director or Manager of large financial software development teams, with 15+ years of overall technology experience
* Prior experience as a software engineer, DBA or similar technical hands on position within software development
* Must have excellent communication, facilitation and team-building skills
* Experience within a development team working on large financial software applications
* Experience leading cross-functional teams of software engineers and software test engineers
* Experience with and leading geographically dispersed teams
* Experience in building, or leading teams to build enterprise data warehouse & business intelligence program
* Ability to drive multiple, critical initiatives at strategic & tactical levels across the portfolio
* Strong analytical, problem solving & leadership skills
* Strong leadership capabilities; able to motivate, rally & build high-performing teams
* Collaborative team player
* Highest level of communication, information sharing & transparency
* Strong change management skills, ability to drive the vision
* Willingness to adopt change, new ideas, processes
* Challenge status-quo and drive creativity, innovation and operational excellence
Net savings in USD + Accomodation + Car + Airfare + All Expat benefits