Disaster Risk Management- Senior Specialist
* PhD or Master's in civil engineering, structural, hydraulic and Geo-technical engineering or a related discipline.
* 15 years of specific experience on infrastructure engineering, structural engineering, infrastructure mitigation works, or design and implementation of cyclone, flood or landslide mitigation works.
* Experience in designing and implementing multi-sectoral post-disaster reconstruction projects.
* Experience in designing and implementing operations, either directly related to DRM or in sectors such as water, urban infrastructure, or transport, including knowledge of organization's operational procedures, the project cycle, fiduciary responsibilities and safeguards policies, is highly desirable.
* Experience in designing and coordinating trust funded activities is desirable.
* Strong written and oral communication skills, with demonstrated ability to make effective presentations to diverse audiences.
* Excellent command of English. Ability to communicate in Hindi is essential.
* Familiarity with South Asia and prior experience in the region is desirable.
* DRM Policy, Strategy, and Institutions - Has a solid understanding of disaster risk management policies, institutions, and regulations
* DRM Infrastructure - Deep experience in at least one subtopic; develops novel approaches to mitigate risk or overcome difficult challenges.
* Emergency Preparedness and Early Recovery - Broad understanding of emergency preparedness and recovery strategies, with ability to support operations and analytical work, and draw conclusions and take action based on results of analyses.
* Disaster Risk Financing - Solid knowledge of a wide range of disaster risk financing alternatives; can propose solutions to most financing needs
* Lead and Innovate - Develops innovative solutions with others.
* Deliver Results for Clients - Achieves results and identifies mission-driven solutions for the client.
* Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries - Initiates collaboration across boundaries and broadly across the organization, and brings differing ideas into the forefront.
* Create, Apply and Share Knowledge - Creates, applies and shares knowledge from across and outside the organization to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions.
* Make Smart Decisions - Recommends and takes decisive action.
* General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills -. Possesses Cross-country knowledge in economic specialty and demonstrates ability to link the macro, institutional, and micro-level behaviors; able to support findings/policy recommendations with credible analysis and tools.
* Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena - Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
* Policy Dialogue Skills - Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
* Integrative Skills -understands relevant cross-sectoral areas how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-sectoral work in lending and non-lending operations.
* DRM policy, strategy and institutions - Understands the institutions and governance issues related to DRM, with specific firsthand experience on engaging institutions as well as assessing their respective capacities. Specific elements include: Institutional Assessment; Reconstruction Policy and Planning; International Cooperation; Legislative Framework; Institutional Capacity Building; Transparency and Accountability.
* Lead and/or participates in task teams to deliver and implement investment lending operations, prepare analytical and advisory activities, and develop new business opportunities in the DRM and climate change adaptation sector in the region.
* Lead and/or supports business development in the region.
* Contributes to the overall strategic program development within the South Asia DRM and Climate Change programs
* Lead and coordinate the development of post-disaster infrastructure damage assessment and provide technical advice for infrastructure reconstruction process.
* Manage the dialogue with sector institution .
* Provide technical advice and contribute to the design of structural vulnerability reduction investments mostly related to flood, landslide, cyclone and seismic risk.
* Participates in professional development and knowledge sharing activities in the DRM sector and contributes specific knowledge both within the assigned countries and across the organization.
* Provide coaching mentoring to team members
This job description is intended as a representation of the primary responsibilities of and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.