Reporting and Responsibility - the Design Manager will report to the Project Manager.
They will be responsible for the delivery of the complete and coordinated design for all packages of the project. The design manager shall be responsible for all internal facing coordination with respect to the design.
- delivery of Design -Design Manager shall request the inputs from each discipline, in accordance with the agreed design programme, and through the package managers, lead coordination between the disciplines to allow them to develop and deliver a coordinated design.
- design Consistency - the Design Manager shall be responsible for consistency in design across the project, for example with the approach take for design assumptions, approach to stakeholders, responses to client and PMC. Responsible for the coordination of the design across the different design teams.
- responsible for distributing design change and arranging design coordination and confirm to Project Manager the time and cost implications of design change.
- programme - the Design Manager shall manage the delivery of the project respecting the project programme.
- Submissions and Approvals - the Design Manager shall be responsible for the approval of all designs and managing the onward submission to the client.
- Interface - the Design Manager shall interface directly with the respective JV Package Design Manager to ensure that the design is delivered on time, to the correct quality and with the construct-ability issues addressed so that construction is not delayed. This interface will be the main day to day communication and reporting line for the package of works. - Design Change - the Design Manager will forward any design change with cost and timescale to Project Manager to interface with Client.
- bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering
- 15 years post graduate experience in design of major highway projects
- Chartered or Professional Engineer from one of these countries UK, USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa, Portugal, Spain or similar authority approved country
- 5 years post chartered status. Have design experience of delivering similar type highway projects.
- experience in the design and construction of highways and structures schemes
- broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other design areas Understanding of H&S requirements related to highway engineering
- understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes
- broad knowledge of quality management
- detailed knowledge of design codes and specifications relevant to highway engineering
- delegation skills.
- team building skills.
- ability to manage a team to deliver demanding targets;
- strong communications skills to be able to unambiguously communicate targets, and priorities.
- ability to develop relationships and engender trust at all levels of the organization and with Clients
- knowledge of the use of computer design tools
- competent in Highway Engineering