In order to make some serious career decisions in today’s time, a lot of people consider the idea of seeking support from Career Coaching sessions.
It is observed that before one decides to take up career coaching – he/she presume a lot of notions attached to it– whether true or not.
Before you make a firm stand based on these general misconceptions it is important to get all your facts clear associated with career coaching –
1. Career counseling is age bound – it is highly believed that career coaching is meant for young adults or college graduates hanging in between at the start of their career.
Fact: Need for coaching is not age bound. In fact, it is highly essential to look out for the right guidance at the time of career transition and mid-career crisis. Career coaching is meant for anybody who is looking for a direction oriented future and career progression.
2. Seeking career coach is for weak- idea of career coaching is considered to be a sin than an essential need. Sometimes the idea itself is offensive to most seniors on the recommendation of coaching.
Fact: We need to change the way we perceive the need of career coaching, especially for those who are struggling the dynamics of career development at senior management. We all need a mentor to put us in right direction when we go off the track with changing environment.
3. Career coaching is all about “one chat session” – help seekers believe in attaining instant results right after coaching sessions.
Fact: Career coaching is a game of patience. It works on a lengthy process of understating the insight of an individual both at personal and professional level. It isn’t an activity of a few hours. One needs to be patient enough to invest good number of hour and days to make the devoted sessions result oriented.
4. Career coaching brings an ideal job – people expect coaching to deliver right career where an ideal job will jump out in no time.
Fact: Career coaches are not miracle workers; they can only guide you to your desired career. One does not assure ‘job in hand” after coaching sessions. It is a process of self-direction and improvement which helps you identify your capabilities to settle for nothing less than but success.
5. It tells you what you should do – people assume career counselors to know everything hence anticipate what should be done next as a final call.
Fact: Inspite of conducting talking sessions & analysis a career coach cannot assure you on what you should do. They can’t dictate on what is right or wrong for you, but they can only help you in taking the best steps to get you to your desired direction.
6. Career coaching has a limited role to resume and a new job – people walk in assuming that coaching is restricted till resume building and providing a new job.
Fact: Career coaching is holistic by nature. It works on the parameters of understanding in-depth knowledge of where you are standing and where you desire to see yourself. Coaching not only give you a job by improving your resume; it helps you achieve a career oriented path by making your career employment search more resourceful.
Certainly, career coaching is taken up by many people; its essential need can occur at any stage of life where one wants to improve and advance for success. (Read more – why you should consider a career coach).
So, you may want to ask yourself – are you satisfied with your achievements and career goals? If Not! Get an expert advice from our coach panel and make an informed career decision.